Monday, December 26, 2011

Sucre 19th-21st

I decided that taking the plane back to La Paz would be a preferable option. I mean I had already risked the fatal bus ride once, with that experience under my belt I hardly saw the point in doing it the way back as well. The plane was much more expensive but lasted only a mere 35 minutes or so, flying more or less straight up to El Alto, the highest airport in the world. Coming from Rurre at just over 100 metres, going back, directly, to El Alto at 4000 was an enormous change. Upon arrival I spent the afternoon simply recovering to the change. That same evening I met my friends from the jungle trip at the bus station. We were all planning on heading to Sucre together, it was nice to have a group to travel with for the next few days. The night bus to Sucre was about 12 hours with a bright, cloudless night sky shining down on plateaus and hills. Sucre is the constitutional capital of Bolivia and calls itself the capital. This leaves me quite confused at what is the capital city of Bolivia. I guess they have 2. Sucre has only around 200,000 people not making it a huge city, yet it is hailed to be the most attractive. All the buildings that are even close to the city centrre are painted white. The whitr city. It waz quite nice, and relaxing, although finding anything was impossible. Everytime you asked anyone where anything was, either they wouldnt know or they were give you aweful directions or false information. After 2.5 days of this I got completely fed up with the city and its pathetically unknowledgeable and unhelpful inhabitants. "Excuse me sir, do you know where I can find some cigars?"

"Umm yes they can be found in the main supermarket 2 blocks this way then 3 blocks up"

Once findjng the supermarket and asking if they sold cigars they would tell us that they did not, but you could find some this other location... Which did not sell cigars either! This happened for numerous other things. I use cigars only as the primary example.

When not inspired to stay in Sucre and do anything activity-wise.I took the next available bus to Uyuni, and splitting up the group on account of us going different ways or at different paces. I was looking forward to Uyuni where lay the famed salt flats, the primary tourist excursion in the nation of Bolivia. The Largest Salt Flats in the world. I said goodbye to my German and Australian companions expecting I may see them again along the road

No comments:

Post a Comment