Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Breath of Fresh Air - Colonia - Feb 22nd - 23rd

Arriving in Colonia was a complete change from where I had just come from. I took the less expensive and slightly longer ferry across the straight which lasted 3 hours. A huge boat that had 3 floors, chairs, arcades, restaurants, tourist shop, Fake Plants, and spiral staircases. Colonia. Sitting directly across from Buenos Aires, with nothing but the expansive river in between. By expansive I mean it big! Looking back across the river seems like you are looking out onto a large lake. This river which is more like an enormous bay where several other rivers join from inland and flow down and out into the ocean is completely brown and thus the main reason why I didn´t spend an extra day indulging on the lengthy beaches of Colonia.

Colonia was suprisingly much less humid and much more calm. Walking about the old cobbled streets of the colonial town it ws almost completely quiet. Few people that were there just walking about the narrow streets, drinking beers or eating food under the shade of palm trees.

Colonia is a very well preserved colonial town that is famed for its extreme amounts of smuggling centuries ago. This was the main port where things would be smuggled to Buenos Aires from outside the area.

I spent only 24 hours in this place and do not have much to say. I slept in a campsite alone and went to see a movie at night. There is nothing there but it was a good respite from city life before I jumped right back into it and went to Montevideo to stay with a friend of my brother´s. Someone he met years ago when he came to Uruguay with Canada World Youth. Another local to show me the ropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment