Monday, March 19, 2012

Tired... - Montevideo - March 10th - 15th

Like I said,

Upon arrival to Montevideo I was down and out. I was completely physically exhausted. Although through the next few days in Montevideo I would become mentally exhausted from a feeling of fatigue towards travelling altogether. As can be seen a considerable amount of time was spent in Montevideo, but a considerably poor mood and impartial attitude towards doing anything obviously left me doing nothing. But a part of me didn´t really mind. 

So I can´t say I saw a lot of Montevideo, nothing compared to the amount of exploring I did in cities such as Santiago or Buenos Aires. Although from what I did see it seemed to be a quaint little city. The center is considerably developped with a main road that leads straight down to the old city which is quite charming throughout the day. Around the entire old city is a sizeable port which destroys all view of the river and other sections of the city which is dissapointing. As I have described Uruguay to be one of the most tranquilo countries around the capital is similarly describable. Many parks and plazas dot the geography as well as beaches on the coast. In the evenings flocks of people go out to the parks or beaches and sit around and enjoy conversation over many matés while children play. Many fisherman dot La Rambla, a road that hugs the shore of the river and ocean all the way along the coast, and test their chances hoping to get the catch of the day. 

This was a small experience of the street. Unfortunately I was often trapped in Daniel´s apartment because of his random un-organized time scheduling and without a key to let myself out and in as I pleased I was completely dependant upon him which didn´t help my mood. They days were usually uneventful, spent sitting in front of the TV, reading or talking to friends back home, which only made me miss home more, also not helping the mood. Because I was so dependant upon Daniel and his disorganization and constant preoccupation over my ability to be independant my disposition towards him suffered. Around these days I began to seriously get tired of the constant work into starting and maintaining pointless relationships which I knew would not last or I did not care to last. This is the kind of thing that I have been going through and I think everyone goes through while travelling. After 4 months of the same crap in relationships I was just fed up and needed a break from people altogether. Likewise I was getting tired of the Uruguayan prices, being the most expensive country I have visited I can only appreciate the fact that I have saved lots of money on accomodation by camping, and Daniel (something I truly thank him for!) Nevertheless it did feel like kicking around there in Montevideo was spending a considerable amount of money on nothing in particular. 

So I looked forward to when the time would come when I would leave Montevideo and get back on the road more as a site see-er than the relaxed living that had occupied the last month or so through Uruguay and some of Argentina. I really needed that break from tourism and gringo but it has come to an end and I am glad. Time to start spending some money again and meet some other interesting tourists (whom I had hardly encountered in the last month either). I hopped on a bus on the 15th directly out of Montevideo. The bus was headed to Gualeyguaychú, just across the border on the Argentinian side, although for some reason I had an uneasy, inexplicable feeling in my stomach... 

No comments:

Post a Comment